Dermatology/hsv and anemia

QUESTION: I have HSV1&2 ,my bf has HSV1 and Mediterranean beta type homozygous anemia, is it safe for him in case he gets infected from me with HSV2? I take Valtrex , can he take it too , is it going to interact?

ANSWER: The medications will not interact.  You might want to take suppressive Valtrex which is 500mg every day. You are constantly shedding the virus even though you do not have sores.  This is called asymptomatic shedding of the virus.  Scientific articles have been written stating that 70% of HSV transmission is through asymptomatic shedding of the virus.  Thus, by taking suppressive therapy, 500mg of Valtrex per day reduces the the asymptomatic shedding of the virus.

QUESTION: I understand thank you for your quick reply , but most important for me is to know , in case he gets exposed and infected to the HSV2 from me is his immune system at risk/burden due to his anemia ?

Anemia is a condition that develops when your blood lacks enough healthy red blood cells or hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a main part of red blood cells and binds oxygen. If you have too few or abnormal red blood cells, or your hemoglobin is abnormal or low, the cells in your body will not get enough oxygen. Symptoms of anemia -- like fatigue -- occur because organs aren't getting what they need to function properly.

The immune system involves the white blood cells not the red blood cells so there is really no issue. Your boy friends anemia involves the red blood cells not the white blood cells.  

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.