Dermatology/Lesion on my Penis

Lesion or scar
Lesion or scar  
It doesnt hurt, doesnt ooze but i just started shaving again and I dont know if its a scare from previous times or i cut it this time.  Or if I might have something.  I was tested in September and came back clean but gave oral sex to a girl new years eve.  What does it look like to you?

Folliculitis is inflammation of one or more hair follicles. It can occur anywhere on the skin.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by rubing from clothing, blockage of the follicle, or shaving. Most of the time, the damaged follicles become infected with Staphylococcus (staph) bacteria.

Barber's itch is a staph infection of the hair follicles in the beard area of the face, usually the upper lip. Shaving makes it worse. Tinea barbae is similar to barber's itch, but the infection is caused by a fungus.

Pseudofolliculitis barbae is a disorder that occurs mainly in black men. If curly beard hairs are cut too short, they may curve back into the skin and cause inflammation.

Common symptoms include a rash, itching, and pimples or pustules near a hair follicle in the neck, groin, or genital area. The pimples may crust over.

Signs and tests

Your health care provider can diagnose this condition by looking at your skin. Lab tests may show which bacteria or fungus is causing the infection.

Hot, moist compresses may help drain the affected follicles.

Treatment may include:

Antibiotics applied to the skin (mupirocin) or taken by mouth (dicloxacillin)

Antifungal medications to control the infection

Expectations (prognosis)

Folliculitis usually responds well to treatment, but may come back.

Folliculitis may return or spread to other body areas.

Calling your health care provider

Apply home treatment and call your health care provider if your symptoms:

Come back often

Get worse

Last longer than 2 or 3 days

To prevent further damage to the hair follicles and infection:

Reduce friction from clothing

Avoid shaving the area if possible (if shaving is necessary, use a clean, new razor blade or an electric razor each time)

Keep the area clean

Avoid contaminated clothing and washcloths

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.