Dermatology/Possible Staph Infection?

Question
Area in question
Area in question  
I have a pimple on my arm that appeared a day or two ago.  I popped it about an hour ago, and now the redness has spread in a radial pattern around the pimple.  There's also a little "arm" of redness that extends from the main part, so it looks like a tadpole.  It doesn't hurt, but I play sports and wanted to make sure it's not staph.  I've included a pic of it.

Answer
Commensal bacteria, such as the staphylococcal variety, are normal residents on the skin of humans and animals. Microorganisms exist on virtually all body surfaces (such as the skin and gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts) that are covered by epithelial cells - these cells form tissue that lines both the internal and external surfaces of the body.

What is a Staphylococcal Infection?

Staphylococcal (commonly shortened to staph) infections are caused by staphylococcus bacteria. There are over 30 species of staphylococcal bacteria and each causes different types of infections. On healthy, intact skin, these germs live harmlessly on the surface.

Common skin areas where staph bacteria can be found include the mouth, nose, genitals and anus. Other parts of the body that can harbor the bacteria include the throat, urinary tract, upper respiratory tract and skin.

You most likely have a very superficial Staph infection.  As long as it does do progress you should have no complications.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>