Dermatology/skin discoloration and possible pigment loss

Hi.  I tried to correct some dark patches in the middle of my back a while ago with different creams (one being mederma).  Long story short, I ended up causing major damage.  Big circles of white and pink showed up and peeled.  It looked like I might have lost pigment (super white circles) and I did go in the sun to try to stimulate melanin in case I was losing color.  I think that did more damage.  Now I have dark blotches and three smaller spots in the center that could be scars.  The only hopeful thing is after months of using Biafine, the white spots seem to have some pink color to them now.  I know the dark areas can be treated (laser or ?) but am more worried about pigment not coming back to those spots in the middle.  I have olive skin and tan super easily, but now I don't want to be in a bathing suit!  How do I know if pigment will come back?  Is there any way to tell?  Like I said, seem to have some pink now, but much lighter than surrounding skin.  I was quite tan beforehand and I hold color a long time.  Avoiding sun completely now.  So worried will be left with these white spots and keep hoping color will return.  Any advice is welcome.  Thanks

Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation, or increased skin pigmentation, is a discolouration that is left on the skin after an underlying skin disease has healed. These underlying conditions include:

skin infections
allergic reactions
mechanical injuries
reactions to medications
phototoxic eruptions
trauma (e.g. burns)
inflammatory reactions (e.g. acne, dermatitis, lichen planus).

This condition is treated with prescription bleaching creams like Hydroquinone 4%

Post-inflammatory hypopigmentation is a loss of skin color (pigmentation) after your skin heals from an injury. The pigment-producing cells (melanocytes) are damaged or destroyed in the healing process. This condition is treated with prescription cortisone cream to stimulate pigment production.

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.