Dermatology/Small rise in the glans of my penis

Question
A small rise on the glans of my penis
A small rise on the gl  
Hello Doctor! I'm 26, and some days, I noticed a small rise on the glans of my penis.
Is like a gland, but I'm kind of worried because I'm afraid to be some sexually transmitted disease.
Thank you!

Answer
The lesion appears to be Molluscum Contagiosum.

Molluscum contagiosum is caused by a virus and usually causes a mild skin disease. The virus affects only the outer (epithelial) layer of skin and does not circulate throughout the body in healthy people.

The virus causes small white, pink, or flesh-colored raised bumps or growths with a dimple or pit in the center. The bumps are usually smooth and firm. In most people, the growths range from about the size of a pinhead to as large as a pencil eraser (2 to 5 millimeters in diameter).

The bumps may appear anywhere on the body, alone or in groups. They are usually painless, although they may be itchy, red, swollen and/or sore.

Molluscum usually disappears within 6 to 12 months without treatment and without leaving scars. Some growths may remain for up to 4 years.

Top

Who gets molluscum contagiosum?
Molluscum infections occur worldwide but are more common in warm, humid climates and where living conditions are crowded. There is evidence that molluscum infections have been on the rise in the United States since 1966, but these infections are not routinely monitored because they are seldom serious and routinely disappear without treatment.

Treatment Options in the Health Care Setting
Cryotherapy (freezing the molluscum growth) is one treatment option. This is the same way that warts are removed from the skin. Another option is to remove the fluid inside the bumps (termed curettage). Lasers also can remove molluscum bumps.

All three options may be a little painful and should only be done by a health care professional. Both curettage and cryotherapy methods may leave scars. In a small percentage of cases, natural healing of molluscum contagiosum bumps lead to scars regardless of type of therapy.

Treatment Options in the Home Setting
Check with a health care provider before using any of these treatments. Most of these creams and oral medicines are available by prescription.

Creams that include certain chemicals (i.e., salicylic acid, podophyllin, tretinoin, and cantharidin) may be used to remove the bumps. There is also a newer cream (imiquimod) that helps strengthen the skinís immune system. The creams are applied directly to each growth. Unfortunately these creams do not always remove the bumps and they may be harmful.

See your dermatologist to make sure of the diagnosis.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>