Dermatology/Smoothing Out Chin Dents

Hi there,

For the past few years I have noticed that I have little chin 'dents' under my lips around the chin area. I'm using the word dents as they're not lines as such. They don't appear to be that bad until I see myself in a picture, which sometimes makes them appear quite prominent. I did have acne when I was younger, which may have contributed to this. but I'm not sure. If I physically stretch my chin area they go away, so I think they could be smoothed out in theory. I wouldn't say I was particularly vain, but as I say, they can sometimes spoil pictures, particularly when a flash is used.

I have looked into bio oil, which I have ruled out as most people seem to think it's too strong to be used on the face. Are there any other options apart from surgery? (which would be overkill in this case anyway). I'm not even sure I'm describing them accurately, but I hope you get the general idea.

Thanks. I hope you can help.

There are multiple lasers available that are effective in the improvement of acne scarring. The Fraxel laser and the Affirm laser are examples of the fractional laser technology which has been shown to be very effective in the treatment and removal of scarring that results from acne or other causes. Fillers can improve the appearance of acne scars by partially lifting the depressed scar but their effect is temporary. The results can last from between a few months to a year using fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, and Perlane, etc. However, laser treatments such as Pixel, Smoothbeam, Erbium or Fraxel can dramatically and permanently reduce the appearance of acne scars with improvement of overall tone.

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.