You are here:

Dermatology/Glans and foreskin skin issues



I've been struggling with the skin of my foreskin and more recently my glans for almost three years. The skin would get very dry and itchy, especially after sex or masturbation. Little tiny red spots would develop. My doctor at first treated me with anti-yeast cream, and when it still came back, a combination prescription anti-fungal and cortisone. As this still did not clear up the problem, I was put on a much stronger prescription cortisone, antifungal and antibiotic cream for 12 days. But the problem came back. Lately beyond the redness after friction I have also noticed a weird pattern, almost like the top layer of skin has been peeling back? It's not noticeable except on the camera with flash, and I haven't seen any actual skin come off, but it's very disconcerting and makes the glans look not so great...

I have noticed it's worse if the glans stays wet, so after urinating or ejaculating I clean the area and dry it. I  have also lubricated it, and ever since following this procedure, the irritation has gotten a lot better. It also only seems to flare up if there's sex or masturbation. But now I'm also concerned about this weird skin pattern/peeling. Any suggestions as to what it might be?

PS I've been tested for STDs and it came back negative. Partner was also treated for yeast whenever I was, but I must point out that no test for yeast was ever done.

Thank you!

From your picture it appears that you have lichen planus.
There is no cure for lichen planus. It often goes away on its own. If symptoms are bothersome, treatment often brings relief and may speed healing. Treatment for the skin may include:

Antihistamines: Pills that help alleviate itching.
Topical (applied to the skin) corticosteroid: Cream or ointment to reduce swelling and redness.
Corticosteroid: Pills (such as prednisone) or shots can help when lichen planus lasts a long time or a patient has many bumps or painful sores.
PUVA therapy: A type of light treatment that can help clear the skin.
Retinoic acid: Applied to the skin or given as a pill to clear the skin.
Tacrolimus ointment or pimecrolimus cream: Used to treat another skin problem, eczema.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>


published over 50 articles on the subject.

©2017 All rights reserved.