Dermatology/Penis Bumps/Rash

I have bumps/rash on my penis head. I had a tight foreskin and then when I eventually stretched it enough to reveal the glans there was loads of bumps. They don't hurt or itch and penis skin seems to come off a little bit when I rub around the bumps. Recently my penis head seems to be secreting a lot more oil as well. I just want to know can I get rid of these bumps. I'm still a virgin so it definitely not a STD.

Balanitis is swelling (inflammation) of the foreskin and head of the penis.

Balanitis is usually caused by poor hygiene in uncircumcised men. Other possible causes include:

Diseases such as reactive arthritis and lichen sclerosis et atrophicus
Harsh soaps
Not rinsing soap off properly while bathing
Uncontrolled diabetes
Skin irritation

Redness of foreskin or penis
Other rashes on the head of the penis
Foul-smelling discharge
Painful penis and foreskin

Exams and Tests
Your health care provider may be able to diagnose your balanitis by examination alone. However, you may need skin tests for viruses, fungi, or bacteria. Sometimes, a skin biopsy is needed.

Treatment depends on the cause of the balanitis. For example, balanitis that is caused by bacteria may be treated with antibiotic pills or creams. Balanitis that occurs with skin diseases may respond to steroid creams. Anti-fungal creams will be prescribed if it is due to a fungus.

In severe cases, circumcision may be the best option. If you cannot pull back (retract) the foreskin to clean it, you may need to be circumcised.

Outlook (Prognosis)
Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene. Surgery is not usually needed.

Possible Complications
Long-term inflammation or infection can:

Scar and narrow the opening of the penis (meatal stricture)
Make it difficult and painful to retract the foreskin to expose the tip of the penis (a condition called phimosis)
Make it difficult to move the foreskin over the head of the penis (a condition called paraphimosis)
Affect the blood supply to the tip of the penis
When to Contact a Medical Professional
Tell your health care provider if you have any signs of balanitis, including swelling of the foreskin or pain.

Good hygiene can prevent most cases of balanitis. When you bathe, pull back (retract) the foreskin to clean and dry the area under it.

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.