Dermatology/Small bumps on penis.

hilghted bumps
hilghted bumps  

hilghted bumps
hilghted bumps  
About a year ago I noticed several very small bumps on the top right of the head of my penis. They remained unchanged until this summer when they have multiplied in number substantially. They have not grown in size. They are fleshy to white colored. There is no pain, itching or other discomfort. I went to a local walk in medical office and the doctor there said she thought it was HPV. I went back a month later to look into treatment options and saw a different doctor at the same place and she refused to treat it as she said it was just clogged pours that could be cleared with hot compress. but she did not seem particularly competent and I would like a second opinion. (can't afford to go to the doctor at the moment)

Balanitis is swelling (inflammation) of the foreskin and head of the penis.

possible causes include:

Diseases such as reactive arthritis and lichen sclerosis et atrophicus
Harsh soaps
Not rinsing soap off properly while bathing
Uncontrolled diabetes

Redness of foreskin or penis
Other rashes on the head of the penis
Foul-smelling discharge
Painful penis and foreskin
Exams and Tests
Your health care provider may be able to diagnose your balanitis by examination alone. However, you may need skin tests for viruses, fungi, or bacteria. Sometimes, a skin biopsy is needed.

Treatment depends on the cause of the balanitis. For example, balanitis that is caused by bacteria may be treated with antibiotic pills or creams. Balanitis that occurs with skin diseases may respond to steroid creams. Anti-fungal creams will be prescribed if it is due to a fungus.

Outlook (Prognosis)
Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene. Surgery is not usually needed.

I would try OTC Cortaid or Cortisone 10 twice a day for two weeks.

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.