Dermatology/Brown spots?

I've recently lost quite a bit of weight, but have a lot more to go. Anyway, I have skin that hangs down on my stomach. I have always tried to be very good about keeping these areas clean and dry. I have noticed over the last week or so that I have small brownish spots there, and also 1 on my side. In total there are about 8 of them. They are light in color ,but brown, and feel almost like a scab (rough). They are not very big maybe 1/2 the diameter of a pencil and they are of various shapes (not necessarily round).

The spots are NOT bothering me in any way. I was wondering though they could be from? My first though was some kind of fungus, if so what would can I use to get rid of them?

Seborrheic keratosis is one of the most common types of noncancerous skin growths in older adults.

A seborrheic keratosis usually appears as a brown, black or pale growth on the face, chest, shoulders or back. The growth has a waxy, scaly, slightly elevated appearance. Occasionally, it appears singly, but multiple growths are more common. Seborrheic keratoses don't become cancerous, but they can look like skin cancer.

Seborrheic keratoses are normally painless and require no treatment. You may decide, however, to have them removed if they become irritated by clothing or for cosmetic reasons.

Treatment is with liquid nitrogen. See your local dermatologist.

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.