Dermatology/Red irritation penis gland/foreskin

Question
Two
Two  

One
One  
I masturbated recently about 4 days ago without any lubrication and it was the first time for me masturbating in a few weeks. I did not feel any pain or discomfort at the time but now i have a lot of irritation.

For the last 2 days i have applied Clotrimazole cream that worked for my jock itch, I assumed it was probably a slight infection i have from the broken skin.

Answer
Balanitis is swelling (inflammation) of the foreskin and head of the penis.

Causes: possible causes include:

Diseases such as reactive arthritis and lichen sclerosis et atrophicus
Infection
Harsh soaps
Not rinsing soap off properly while bathing
Uncontrolled diabetes
Trauma or irritation from masterbation

Symptoms
Redness of foreskin or penis
Other rashes on the head of the penis
Foul-smelling discharge
Painful penis and foreskin

Exams and Tests
Your health care provider may be able to diagnose your balanitis by examination alone. However, you may need skin tests for viruses, fungi, or bacteria. Sometimes, a skin biopsy is needed.

Treatment
Treatment depends on the cause of the balanitis. For example, balanitis that is caused by bacteria may be treated with antibiotic pills or creams. Balanitis that occurs with skin diseases or trauma may respond to steroid creams. Anti-fungal creams will be prescribed if it is due to a fungus.

Outlook (Prognosis)
Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene. Surgery is not usually needed.
Also less trauma to the penis is important.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>