Dermatology/Red mark on back

Question
Hello,
  I am 49 years old female with a BMI of 22. I have a odd red mark on my back( right where you right kidney is). It is about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide. I have had it about 4 months. It does not get bigger and does not get smaller. It does not itch. But if you press on it, it is a little sore but deep down not surface sore. Also if you rub it, it becomes bright red and then goes back to the light red after awhile.
 Have you seen this before? I really hate to waste people's time with this but I really thought it would have diminished by now. Thank you for your time.

Answer
There can be a number of causes for the red mark: an allergic reaction called a contact dermatitis, dermatographism which is a physical urticaria, a stria which is a stretch mark, bleeding under the skin. To know for sure what the mark is, you will have to see your dermatologist.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>