Dermatology/Brown spots on skin laser or IPL treatment

Hi, and thanks for your attention.

I've had sun spots in my face for 4 or 5 years now. I have been to many dermatologists and they always prescribe hydroquinone. The problem is I live in a very sunny area, and my job requires me to walk in the sun for about 30 or 40 minutes each day (I use a very expensive sun block I renew every 4 hours and a big hat everyone laughs about).

I am afraid hydroquinone might make matters worse in the long run because it makes my skin very sun-sensitive and I have not seen an improvement really.

One dermatologist told me a peeling is out of question, that it could make my spots darker. I was wondering if an IPL treatment would help and if there's a chance that it would make matters worse, and if it is better or worse than a laser treatment. What I need is something fast, so I can maybe stay out of the sun for a few days after the procedure but not three months in this sunny place I live in.

Thank you.

The issues you have is that the IPL can cause an increase in pigment as well as a chemical peel. You may want to try a compounded prescription with 8% Hydroquinone, .05% Retin A and 2.5% Hydrocortisone. The only issue with Hydroquinone is a condition call Ocranosis which is increased pigment but this is very rare. The problem with sun spots is that you can treat them and make them resolve but if you go out in the sun again they will return. Thus, it is important that you were a sunscreen with at least an SPF of 50.

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.