Dermatology/A pea size patch on my left side of jaw

Circle patch
Circle patch  
Circle patch
Circle patch  
Was wondering is this patch only one on left side of jaw
Is this fungus?
Thank you

ANSWER: The only way to tell if there is a fungus is to scrape the skin and look at it under the microscope.  Possible causes of the patch include: eczema which is dry skin, allergic contact dermatitis which is an allergic reaction, sun damage as in freckle, and an irritant dermatitis.

The reason I'm asking if its fungus cause on right upper side of back I have skin infection I just finish my 10 days ketoconazole pills and been applying the cream 2% I attached photos below before &now
This circle patch on my left side of jaw line isn't  a freckle nor eczema it's round bit raised and has pink like brown color  so I been putting tiny binny of the cream
For pictures I just added today could you please tell if there is any improvement ?!
Thank you

You have Tinea Versicolor and it does appear to be improving.

Tinea versicolor is a long-term (chronic) yeast infection of the skin.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Tinea versicolor is fairly common. It is caused by a type of yeast yeast called Pityrosporum ovale. THis yeast is normally found on human skin. It only causes a problem in certain settings.

The condition is most common in both men and women. It typically occurs in hot climates.

The main symptom is patches of discolored skin that:

Have sharp borders (edges) and fine scales
Are often dark reddish-tan in color
Are found on the back, underarms, upper arms, chest, and neck
Do not darken in the sun so may appear lighter than surrounding healthy skin
African Americans may have a loss of skin color (hypopigmentation) or an increase in skin color (hyperpigmentation).

Other symptoms include:

Increased sweating
Signs and tests

The health care provider will examine a skin scraping that is examined under a microscope to look for the yeast.

The condition is treated by applying antifungal medicines to the skin. These medicines include clotrimazole, ketoconazole, and miconazole. Anti-fungal medicines you take by mouth can also be used.

Applying over-the-counter dandruff shampoos to the skin for 10 minutes each day in the shower is another treatment option.

Expectations (prognosis)

Tinea versicolor is easily treated. Changes in skin color may last for months. The condition may come back during warm weather.

Calling your health care provider

Call your health care provider if you develop symptoms of tinea versicolor.

Avoid excessive heat or sweating if you have had this condition in the past. You can also use anti-dandruff shampoo on your skin every month to help prevent the problem.  

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.