Dermatology/Red spots on arm

Question
1
1  

2
2  
Thank you in advance for your response. I'm a 24 year old female and I've had these red spots on my left arm for a few months now. They don't hurt and are not itchy. I can feel a *very* small bump in the center of the redness, but it's almost unnoticeable. The other day I noticed one of these spots had almost disappeared (could see a faint brownish color where the red used to be), but the red spot came back again within a couple days. I only notice them on my left arm, nowhere else. There are 4 (maybe 5) of them. 1 on shoulder, 2 on inner arm and 1 slightly above my wrist. What could these be and are thwy cause for concern? I'm 9 months pregnant if it matters, and I can't remember if they were there before pregnancy or not. Thank you again!

Answer
Spider angioma is an abnormal collection of blood vessels near the surface of the skin.

Causes
Spider angiomas are very common. They occur often in pregnant women and people with liver disease. They can appear both children and adults.

Symptoms
The main symptom is a blood vessel sore (lesion) that:

May have a red dot in the center
Has reddish extensions that reach out from the center
Disappears when pressed on then comes back when pressure is released
Is seen most often on the face and neck
Exams and Tests
Most of the time you do need tests to diagnose the condition. A skin biopsy may be needed to confirm the diagnosis in some cases. Blood tests may be done if a liver problem is suspected.

Treatment
Most of the time you do not need treatment. Electrocauterization or laser treatment may be used in some cases.

Outlook (Prognosis)
Spider angiomas often disappear in children. They tend to last in adults.

When to Contact a Medical Professional
Let your doctor know if you have multiple new spider angioma so other related medical conditions can be ruled out.  

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>