Dermatology/red spots on penis

Question
red spots
red spots  

bumps on penis
bumps on penis  
Dear Doctor,

I have a problem for 2 month ago.
2 month ago i went to a doctor, because i had UTI (e.coli, enterobacter). Now this problem is OK. But after the UTI on my penis head appear a lot of red spots. These spots doesn't hurt, or anything... And when i have erection the red spots are exceed from the penis head.
I went back to the doctor, and she said it's fungal thing. She gave me lorecyl gel. It doesn't better or worse.
Please help what causes this?

Thanks!

Answer
You have a condition called Balanitis.

Balanitis is swelling (inflammation) of the foreskin and head of the penis.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors

possible causes include:

Diseases such as reactive arthritis and lichen sclerosis et atrophicus
Infection
Harsh soaps
Not rinsing soap off properly while bathing
Uncontrolled diabetes
Trauma
Irritation

Symptoms

Redness of foreskin or penis
Other rashes on the head of the penis
Foul-smelling discharge
Painful penis and foreskin

Signs and tests

Your health care provider may be able to diagnose your balanitis by examination alone. However, you may need skin tests for viruses, fungi, or bacteria. Sometimes, a skin biopsy is needed.

Treatment

Treatment depends on the cause of the balanitis. For example, balanitis that is caused by bacteria may be treated with antibiotic pills or creams. Balanitis that occurs with skin diseases may respond to steroid creams. Anti-fungal creams will be prescribed if it is due to a fungus.

Expectations (prognosis)

Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene.

Complications

Long-term inflammation or infection can:
Lead to pain
Lead to irritation
Cause Scaring

Calling your health care provider

Tell your health care provider if you have any signs of balanitis, including swelling of the foreskin or pain.

Prevention

Good hygiene can prevent most cases of balanitis. When you bathe, pull back (retract) the foreskin to clean and dry the area under it.  

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>