Dermatology/Skin Rash



Hello, Dr.

Recently, about three weeks ago, I had an accident during a sexual encounter with a girl. Condom slipped and I had became exposed to STDs for about 1 minute or so.

A few days ago, I started to notice some changes in my skin. In my back, a strange rash has appeared, which I believe to be filled with macules and papules (i've uploaded a picture).

My question is: Is this a maculopapular Rash charactheristic of HIV Acute infection? I'm concerned that it may be an ARS Rash and I cannot see my doctor until next week (he's on vacation).

My sincerely thanks.

The rash in your pictures looks like folliculitis.
Folliculitis   is an infection in the hair follicles. Each hair on your body grows out of a tiny pouch called a follicle. You can have folliculitis on any part of your body that has hair. But it is most common on the face and scalp and areas rubbed by clothing, such as the thighs, trunk and groin.

What causes folliculitis?
It usually is caused by bacteria. It also can be caused by yeast or another type of fungus.

You may get folliculitis if you have damaged hair follicles. Shaving or wearing clothes that rub the skin can irritate the follicles or sweating, which can lead to folliculitis. They also can become blocked or irritated by sweat, machine oils, or makeup. When the follicles are injured, they are more likely to become infected.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>


published over 50 articles on the subject.

©2017 All rights reserved.