Dermatology/Diet

Question
I was wondering if there are certain foods (or even food groups) I should avoid to prevent excelerating hair loss? A french friend of mine says most things can be handle with proper diet. I'd like to cut out the things that are making things worst. I think bread can be an issue?

Answer
If the high-protein diet provides adequate and balanced nutrition, there may be little-to-no risk of hair loss. However, if the diet severely restricts carbohydrates and calories, the resulting deficiencies could result in a condition known as telogen effluvium. Per the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology, telogen effluvium occurs when the body cannot support hair production. As a result, an abnormally high percent of the hair goes into the resting phase and the phase occurs earlier, and longer, than usual. When the hair begins growing again, all of the resting hairs fall out, resulting in possible bald patches.  

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>