Dermatology/Lichen Planus

Dear Dr Fisher,

I was diagnosed with Lichen Planus about 5 months ago and diagnosed with H Pylori 2 months ago. I was not told if I had a stomach ulcer or not. I also have an underactive Thyroid and currently on 75MG Thyroxine. I have been underactive for 2 years.

I would like to know if there is a connection between LP and H Pylori and why would I have the 2 together at the same time? Also being Hypothyroid, is there a connection between them all considering they are all autoimmune?

I feel weak and tired with no energy. The LP rash is slowly going but new spots showing up now and again! I don't know what is causing the lethargic feeling.

Thank you for any help!

Oral lichen planus is a premalignant chronic inflammatory mucosal disorder with unknown etiology. It is a multifactorial disease and in addition to genetic background, infections, stress, drug reactions are suggested as risk factors. Helicobacter pylori which is involved in development of many gastrointestinal lesions may also be implicated in oral lichen planus induction. This is of clear importance for cancer prevention and the present study was performed to determine any association between H. pylori infection and oral lichen planus in southwestern Iran. Anti H. pylori IgG levels were determined in 41 patients and 82 sex-age matched controls. The results showed no association between H. pylori infection and oral lichen planus (51% in patients vs. 66% in control). or any of its clinical presentations.

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.