Dermatology/Penis skin problem

Question
Hello,

About 2 months ago I woke up with a small, unpainful, daek purple bruise on the shaft of my penis. I did not do anything, and within 8 days it cleared up, but it left this bruise "shadow". The shadow is a very light brown spot where the bruise used to be, and the blood vessel that was broken is a little more redddish/purple than the surrounding blood vessels. I also noticed these light brown marks along with what appear to be stretch lines on the sides of my penis. About a week after I noticed the initial bruise, I developed epididymytis, took antibiotics for 10 days, and then developed a yeast infection that is affecting my entire penis and scrotum. Will my bruise shadow go away, and also do I bave a serious condition? I consulted a doctor about my epididymytis and yeast infection, and he checked the penis area twice and did not mention the bruise mark, but I do not know if he saw it. Also, if this helps, I am 15. I do not know if it is penile cancer. Thank you so much.

Answer
You have what is called postinflammatory hyperpigmentation. This means that the irritation from the bruise caused an in crease in pigment, the shadow.

Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) is a frequently encountered problem and represents the sequelae of various cutaneous disorders as well as therapeutic interventions. This acquired excess of pigment can be attributed to various preceding disease processes that affect the skin such as infections, allergic reactions, mechanical injuries, reactions to medications, phototoxic eruptions, trauma and inflammatory diseases.

Treatment can be bleaching creams or prescrtion Elidel cream which is anti inflammatory.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>