Dermatology/sunscreens with soy oil

Question
Hi, I was reading that the sunscreen I apply daily every 2 hours (ombrelle 60) contains soy oil.  I don't understand, is this a good ingredient to have in a sunscreen?  I thought that polyunsaturated fats oxidize in the sun, therefore creating free radicals?
Thank you!

Answer
Other than the internal benefits attributed to soy, recent research has shown that soy possesses antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects on skin. The component in soy responsible for these effects are isoflavones, a class of plant compounds abundant in soybeans. In the skin, isoflavones have been shown to work in two important ways:

1. stimulate collagen Ė which helps to increase the skinís supporting structure, thereby increasing its thickness and elasticity
2. inhibit matrix metallo-proteinases, enzymes that break down the network of protein that make up the skinís support layer.

Of important note is that topically applied soy does not exert any hormonal effects.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>