Dermatology/Hole on chest


I have a 1/8 in size hole in my chest just below my pectoral I am pretty sure it was a zit last week or so and tonight noticed its a pretty deep hole with some redness around it, very tender to the touch and a little pusy/slimy clear fluid. What could it be? Is it cause for concern and is neosporin and bandage appropriate?

The sole in your chest could be a pore of winer.

Dilated Pore of Winer:
Is an enlarged hair follicle filled with dead skin cells that usually develops on the face
Usually look like a large “black head” or large skin pore
May range in diameter from 1 mm to over 5 mm
May get gradually larger with time and do not disappear spontaneously
Are not due to diet
Are not collections of fat tissue
Are not due to an “Ingrown Hair”
Sometimes white or brown material may be extruded from the pore, but the opening remains and re-fills over time

The skin around the enlarged pore is injected with a local anesthetic to numb the area
The contents and the wall of the pore are removed
Stitches are used to close the opening
Usually only a single stitch is required
Antibiotic ointment and a bandage are used to cover the wound
The day after surgery apply a small amount of antibiotic ointment to the wound and change the bandage daily until the stitches are removed
If you notice redness, pain, swelling or a discharge from your wound, let the doctor know immediately
The stitches are removed in 5 to 10 days
The removal of stitches is painless
You may bathe, shower and do your normal activities unless the cyst that has been removed is very large and there is a risk of the wound being damaged. The doctor will inform you about this
There is a small chance that the pore could grow back
There is no cream at this time that will remove a dilated pore of winer
There is no way to prevent a dilated pore from developing
Removal of dilated pores of winer is not covered by OHIP or private health insurance
A referral from a doctor is necessary to make your first appointment  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>


published over 50 articles on the subject.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]