Dermatology/skin taking a long time to heal

Hi, I'm concerned about why my skin is taking so long to heal.  My razor burn has been around for a month, as well as the deep redness under my eye from rubbing some coconut oil mixed with baking soda thinking it would help exfoliate my skin. :P  It's frustrating because the redness is not going away and I believe it might be due to that I apply sunscreen religiously throughout the day as well (every 2 hours).   I've tried aloe vera gel which only seems to irritate it more, and polysporin was similarly useless.  My skin is usually very healthy, actually I try to take care of it best I can although sometimes I go a little overboard like with the whole coconut oil/baking soda bad idea mix.
Any suggestions? Also do I really need to apply sunscreen every 2 hours even if I'm in an office environment where I'm not active physically?
Thank you.

You do not need to apply sunscreen every two hours. Every 3-4 hours should be fine unless you are inside all day in which case you do not need to apply it so often. The agents you are applying to your skin are irritating your skin and that is why it is red, try applying over the counter hydrocortisone cream twice a day for 7-10 days and see if that helps. You may want to stop everything you are applying to your face and see if that helps.

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.