Dermatology/Nose depressions

Question
Over the past few months I've noticed depressions/sinking at either side of my nose, like I'm losing fat on my nose even though there is no fat. It feels very boney as though the bone/cartilage is protruding and it's causing shadowing.

I've googled a million different permutations of this and I can't find anything on it at all. The only thing that I can find similar to my problem is the tip of the nose pointing downwards (not my problem) and people getting dents in their noses post-rhinoplasty - something which I've not had.

What could this be? Is it possible this is just the natural structure of my nose and I've never noticed before?

I'm 20, not a smoker, social drinker, healthy eater, normal weight, don't tan.

Answer
Assuming that you have had an examination by a plastic surgeon and there is no sign of:

Any infection
  Tumor
  Any other abnormality
Then, it seems to be strictly a cosmetic issue causing the problem.  Sometimes, for reasons unknown, there are changes that evolve in the structure of the nose over time.  I also assume that there has been no injury to cause any possible damage to the cartilage on the tip of the nose.

If there is no antecedent reason or explanation why you are having this problem and it is unsightly, it may be that your best, simplest, and most economical solution is to have a filler injection.  Fillers are an excellent answer to a nasal depression.

You may want to consider having a saline or saltwater “demo” before having a series of injections which will lift the depressed area and hopefully make it symmetrical with the other side to look normal.

The advantage of the saline test is you get to see the final result and then the sterile saltwater dissipates within about two hours.  

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>