Dermatology/Medical procedures

I was interested in writing a paper about a medical topic, and was told by a caseworker (who specializes in *mental* health) that a simple operation such as removing a splinter is considered “body modification”, reasoning that a nurse is not allowed to perform it, hence, to “modify” the patient’s body. I always wanted to be conscientious and refer to credible sources before writing any material. From my amateur knowledge, the act of removing a splinter is considered an *operation* and not a *modification*, reasoning that *operation* is grounds not to perform a procedure without proper knowledge (and stated specifically *not necessarily “modification”*). The caseworker insisted, speaking authoritatively, that it is a *modification*, however, it was inconsistent with my knowledge of medical procedures, in which I believe and interpreted to define the terms *operation* and *modification* separately, although under the umbrella of *procedure*. Since he stated that he “did not need” to cite sources, I believe that it therefore is my own responsibility to do so.

Was the information that I was provided accurate, or was it an argument from inappropriate authority?

I know that I can’t technically argue from one authority which I am asking in this text, however, I know I have to start with one authority and then gain information about the position of the entire medical community starting with your guidance.

Best sources so far:
- (I know Wikipedia isn’t the best, but it’s reasonable for starters)

"Ugly" Adam

I disagree with the premise. What about a nurse practioner.
A nurse practitioner (NP) is a registered nurse (RN) who has completed advanced education (a minimum of a master's degree) and training in the diagnosis and management of common medical conditions, including chronic illnesses. Nurse practitioners provide a broad range of health care services. They provide some of the same care provided by physicians and maintain close working relationships with physicians. An NP can serve as a patient's regular health care provider.

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.