Dermatology/Orange Spot on 16 mo old scalp

Question

I recently noticed a neon orange spot on my 16 mo old baby's scalp, just under the hair line in the front. It looks like someone took an orange highlighter and put a dot on her head. It's a very unusual color so it's made me concerned.

I took her to her pediatrician and she recommended I take her to a pediatric dermatologist so I have made an appointment, however, I can't get in for 2 months and I just want to feel assured that she's ok. So far only the one spot. Tried to pick with my nail and it didn't come off and she said "ow" so I don't think it's related to cradle cap (also Dr. didn't say it could be that either).

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thank you,
Janelle

Answer
The skin lesion is called a Nevus Sebaceous of Jadassohn.
Circumscribed lesion that occurs mainly on the face and scalp and consists predominantly of sebaceous glands, abortive hair follicles and ectopic apocrine glands. It is generally present at birth or in early childhood, but at times it may arise in adult life. The slightly raised yellow, orange or light-brown plaques present a smooth or velvety surface. With puberty, they become raised, thickened, and nodular. Secondary neoplastic changes occur in 10 to 30 per cent of lesions, the most common neoplasms being basal cell carcinoma and syringocystadenoma papilliferum.
This lesion will have to be surgically excised when the child is older.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>