Dermatology/Red, burning patches on face, etc.

Question
Dear Dr. Fisher,

Hello. I'm hoping you may be able to help me because I'm at my wits end. I have been experiencing some painful patches on my face for the last couple of years. I have also had itching in my nostrils and in the inner corners of my eyes. The red patches on my face come and go an they burn like a sunburn would and they aren't itchy, but the inner corners of my eyes itch so badly that I'm afraid I'm going to damage my eyes from all the rubbing. My inner nostrils itch as well. I was recently diagnosed with Costochondritis when I was having severe chest pain and ended up in the emergency room. My primary agreed with the diagnosis of Costochondritis. A few years ago I was diagnosed with sacroiliac joint dysfunction and a herniated disc. I have also had Fibromyalgia Syndrome since I was 19 years old (I'm 38 now). Could all of these diagnoses be caused by one disease or illness? It seems every time I go to the doctor I get diagnosed with another condition that are all chronic pain related. Any ideas you have would be most appreciated. Thank you.

~Allison

Answer
There are some prescription topical cortisone products that should help your skin condition. One is Cloderm Cream, another one is Locoid lotion. Costochondritis can resolve with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve).
You may be given a local anesthetic and steroid injection in the area that is tender if normal activities become very painful and the pain does not respond to medications.
Infectious (bacterial or fungal) costochondritis is treated with antibiotics.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>