Dermatology/tiny red bumps and burning glans

Question
Hi doctor,

I'm 27 years old male, I'm suffering from burning sensation and few tiny pointed red spots/bumps (like a point made by a ball point pen) on the glans of my penis since two months. The redspots appear soon after masturbation and the next day its hardly visible. I remember I was pretty rough while masturbating once and the next time(2days later)i masturbated normally again, immediately my glans had few dark red spots and felt raw. This subsided in a day and since then whenever I touch my glans while masturbating it starts burning, become reddish and tiny red spots appear. If I masturbate under a cold shower I don't experience this symptom. Also,If I abstain from masturbation then I don't have any symptoms. But when the penis rubs against cloths I feel the burning sensation.

I'm sexually inactive so there is no chance of an std. I saw a dermatologist and urologist, the urologist said it could be glans abrasion while the dermatologist didnt see anything wrong and prescribed a mild steroid cream to be applied for 4 days but it didn't help.

Can you please advise what could it be? if it is glans abrasion would it take more than two months to heal.?  Is it safe to try any OTC cream like neosporin/ aloe vera/ calamine lotion to help sooth the glans and quicken healin? Kindly advise.

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
John

Answer
Balanitis is swelling of the foreskin and head of the penis.

Causes
Balanitis is most often caused by trauma or irritation Other possible causes include:

Diseases such as reactive arthritis and lichen sclerosis et atrophicus
Infection
Harsh soaps
Not rinsing soap off properly while bathing
Uncontrolled diabetes
Symptoms
Redness of foreskin or penis
Other rashes on the head of the penis
Foul-smelling discharge
Painful penis and foreskin
Exams and Tests
Your health care provider may be diagnosed the problem with only an exam. However, you may need skin tests for viruses, fungi, or bacteria. A skin biopsy may also be needed.

Treatment
Treatment depends on the cause of the balanitis.

Antibiotic pills or creams are used to treat when balanitis that is caused by bacteria.
Steroid creams may help balanitis that occurs with skin diseases.
Anti-fungal creams will be prescribed if it is due to a fungus.
If trauma or irritation is the cause then stopping the trauma cures the condition

Outlook (Prognosis)
Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene.  

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>