You are here:

Dermatology/What type of STD may this be


I noticed this about three weeks ago- it started just underneath the head of my penis where it meets the shaft and started out as a small red rash. Progressed into this and now there are small red bumps on the shaft can anyone identify what this may be please? It didn't hurt at first then sometimes it started burning and hurting and every time after I have intercourse now it hurts. And sometimes hurts burns and is very uncomfortable. I've had 11 partners since November 2013.

Balanitis is swelling of the foreskin and head of the penis.

Balanitis is most often caused by poor hygiene or skin irritation.

Diseases such as reactive arthritis and lichen sclerosis et atrophicus
Harsh soaps
Not rinsing soap off properly while bathing
Uncontrolled diabetes
Skin irritation

Redness of foreskin or penis
Other rashes on the head of the penis
Foul-smelling discharge
Painful penis and foreskin

Exams and Tests
Your health care provider may be diagnosed the problem with only an exam. However, you may need skin tests for viruses, fungi, or bacteria. A skin biopsy may also be needed.

Treatment depends on the cause of the balanitis.

Antibiotic pills or creams are used to treat when balanitis that is caused by bacteria.
Steroid creams may help balanitis that occurs with skin diseases.
Anti-fungal creams will be prescribed if it is due to a fungus.

Outlook (Prognosis)
Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene.

See your urologist for diagnosis and treatment.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>


published over 50 articles on the subject.

©2017 All rights reserved.