You are here:

Dermatology/Bumps on head of penis


Bumps on penis rim
Bumps on penis rim  

Redness on underside of penis head
Redness on underside o  
About 3 months ago, after masterbating fairly roughly I noticed two red bumps on the  right side of my penis head, they did not hurt or itch at all, and they went down and became less noticable  about 30 min later. However every time I had sex or masterbated those bumps would reappear and I began to notice more, smaller bumps forming along the rim of my penis, and even on the glands of my penis head. This concerned me even more so I began applying hydrocortizone for about 2 weeks, but it did not help, and may have even made things worse?

Fast forward to now and I still have the same bumps appearing  after masterbating as well as what appears to be irritated skin on the underside of my penis head, which has also been there off and on for a couple months.  Also, my entire penis head ln General looks extremely dry.

I am sorry if this is hard to follow, but this has been a problem for 3 months now, and I  am very worried   Like I mentioned earlier  the bumps do not itch or hurt at all, it just doesn't look right.   Any idea of what you think this may be and how to treat it would be greatly appreciated.   

Thank you so much for your help

You have a condition called Balanitis.

Balanitis is swelling of the foreskin and head of the penis.

Harsh soaps
Not rinsing soap off properly while bathing
Uncontrolled diabetes

Redness of foreskin or penis
Other rashes on the head of the penis
Foul-smelling discharge
Painful penis and foreskin

Treatment depends on the cause of the balanitis.
In your case it is caused by trauma or irritation from masterbation

Antibiotic pills or creams are used to treat when balanitis that is caused by bacteria.
Steroid creams may help balanitis that occurs with skin diseases.
Anti-fungal creams will be prescribed if it is due to a fungus.

You can try Cortaid or Cortisone 10 but if that does not work see your doctor  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>


published over 50 articles on the subject.

©2017 All rights reserved.