Dermatology/Potential HPV warts or Normal Glans?

Question
Glans
Glans  

Glans 2
Glans 2  
Good morning,

I'm a 29 year old circumcised male. I have a clinical diagnosis of Psoriasis on my elbows and the glans of my penis from my dermatologist. I've been blood tested for every possible STD after a two year period of total celibacy with conclusive negative results. My dermatologist last looked at my penis last year and advised I had no warts, just scaling and the normal variant bumps of the glans several months ago. I also had the Gardasil shot at that time and finished all 3 shots over 6 months during this time of 2 year celibacy.

I have never been very good at distinguishing my psoriasis flares since I normally don't inspect myself this closely but lately I've taken notice of the cracks and bumps on my glans that for all I know are regular spots I just started noticing. I take close notice of larger bumps toward the center after masturbation or waking up with an erection. Nothing that resembles cauliflower has been observed.

Can you advise me if I'm looking at regular glans skin texture or any potential warts? I was sexually active from age 16 until 26 with no STD history. I've read that HPV clears from most people after two years, I never had a wart, and I read warts on the penis glans are somewhat rare on circumcised men.

Thank you for your assistance and reassurance.

Answer
You have a condition called Balanitis.

Balanitis is swelling of the foreskin and head of the penis.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors
Balanitis is most often caused by poor hygiene. Other possible causes include:
Diseases such as reactive arthritis and lichen sclerosis et atrophicus
Infection
Harsh soaps
Not rinsing soap off properly while bathing
Uncontrolled diabetes
Trauma
irritation
Other skin diseases like psoriasis

Symptoms
Redness of foreskin or penis
Other rashes on the head of the penis
Foul-smelling discharge
Painful penis and foreskin

Treatment

Treatment depends on the cause of the balanitis.
Antibiotic pills or creams are used to treat when balanitis that is caused by bacteria.
Steroid creams may help balanitis that occurs with skin diseases.
Anti-fungal creams will be prescribed if it is due to a fungus.  

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>