Dermatology/Random Abscesses/Nodules

It seems that occasionally, my wife gets large nodules or cyst like bumps on her face that are very painful, red and feel spongy.  Sometimes up to 1.5cm in diameter and quite raised.  These are sporadic enough, to where it is one at a time, maybe once or twice a year.  Her face is otherwise pretty clear.

Occasionally they go away, but sometimes they do not and require draining.  The doctor states that the fluid that comes out, outside of the obvious bleeding, is bright green, not chunky and does not smell bad.  These have been cultured before with no report of bacteria in the findings.

I am afraid of scarring and oral medication seems over the top since it is so sporadic.  Also, she suffers from moderate level inflammatory bowel disease that I feel may be related somehow but is also another reason why we do not want maintenance oral medication.

What could these be?  Is there any cream we could ask the doctor for to prevent them from being so large?

When you have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), you may have symptoms that occur outside of your gastrointestinal system. Approximately 25% to 40% of people with IBD experience these "extraintestinal" complications, which can affect almost any part of the body. IBD-related skin conditions affect an estimated 2% to 34% of people with IBD. Only about 5% experience multiple skin conditions, and about 10% to 15% experience a skin condition along with another type of extraintestinal complication.
The only medicine that may help your wife is a biologic like Humira or Enbrel.

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.