Dermatology/Red Spot on glans


red spot
red spot  
Hi I am a 30 yo male. For the last 3 years I've had red spots coming and going both on my glans and inner foreskin. I saw the dermatologist a few times and he thought it could be psoriasis. He prescribed topical steroids which always worked (I've had this a few times now, maybe 4 or 5 over these years).
The same spot appeared about 2 weeks ago and I applied the same treatment with no effect. Now the spot is moderately growing and I'm worried it could be penile cancer. I attach a picture.
What can I do?
Thank you!

You have a condition called Balanitis.
Balanitis is swelling of the head of the penis.

Balanitis is most often caused by poor hygiene. Other possible causes include:

Diseases such as reactive arthritis and lichen sclerosis et atrophicus
Harsh soaps
Not rinsing soap off properly while bathing
Uncontrolled diabetess
Trauma or irritation

Redness of foreskin or penis
Other rashes on the head of the penis
Foul-smelling discharge
Painful penis and foreskin

Exams and Tests
Your health care provider may be diagnosed the problem with only an exam. However, you may need skin tests for viruses, fungi, or bacteria. A skin biopsy may also be needed.

Treatment depends on the cause of the balanitis.

Antibiotic pills or creams are used to treat when balanitis that is caused by bacteria.
Steroid creams may help balanitis that occurs with skin diseases.
Anti-fungal creams will be prescribed if it is due to a fungus.

Outlook (Prognosis)
Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene.

Possible Complications
Long-term inflammation or infection can:

Scar and narrow the opening of the penis (meatal stricture)
Make it difficult and painful to retract the foreskin to expose the tip of the penis (a condition called phimosis)
Affect the blood supply to the tip of the penis
Increase the risk of penile cancer
When to Contact a Medical Professional
Tell your health care provider if you have any signs of balanitis, including swelling or pain.if you are really worried have the doctor do a biopsy of the lesion.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>


published over 50 articles on the subject.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]