Dermatology/redness on face

Question
Hi, I just wanna start out by saying thank you for being on this website and helping myself and others with similar problems. A couple of weeks ago red patches started showing up on my face. As time went on these patches start to become flaky such as dry skin does. The patches are on both sides of my nose above my mustache and also under each side of my mouth. There are also patches of milia underneath the corners of my mouth. I'm a 24 year old male and I've always had slightly red skin underneath my nostrils, but it seems that it is spreading now. Whenever I moisturize it with anything it just becomes even more red. The milia patches have been in my face for a few months now and I can't seem to get rid of them. When I pop them, they becomes large and irritated, sometimes for weeks. I have taken a picture but I don't see a way to attach pictures on this website. I can send it directly to your email if that's OK with you. Thank you so much for your time.

-Payton

Answer

Seborrheic dermatitis, also known as seborrhea, sebopsoriasis, seborrheic eczema, dandruff and pityriasis capitis, is a chronic, relapsing and usually mild dermatitis. In infants seborrheic dermatitis is called cradle cap.

Seborrheic dermatitis is an inflammatoryskin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and torso. Typically, seborrheic dermatitis presents with scaly, flaky, itchy, and red skin. It particularly affects the sebaceous-gland-rich areas of skin. In adolescents and adults, seborrhoeic dermatitis usually presents as scalp scaling similar to dandruff or as mild to marked erythema of the nasolabial fold.

The topical antifungal medications ketoconazole and ciclopirox are both effective for the condition. It is unclear if other antifungals are equally effective as this has not been studied.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>