Dermatology/Plantar warts?

Question
My kids each have a spot on their foot that I'm really scared might be the beginning of a plantar wart.  One is on the heel of my son's foot, and the other is on the ball (I guess?) of my daughter's foot, about an inch or so below the toes.  It looks the same for both of them.  I would describe it as pimple-sized, round, skin-colored (my son's is a little red), and there almost looks to be a "hole" in the center with a white dot kind of "floating" above it.  The spot is hard to the touch.  The kids don't feel anything when walking, but when the spot is pushed on directly, they say it hurts.   

I have a lot of anxiety about skin conditions, and particularly the possibility of warts frightens me because I've been reading about how contagious they are and how hard they are to get rid of.  I'm afraid they could be spreading them all around the house and we could all keep re-infecting ourselves.  I've also read that once a person has warts, the virus is in their system and they could keep coming back!   They share a bathroom...do I need to clean the bathroom with bleach every time they finish showering?  What should I use to clean my floors (they walk around barefoot) to make sure we kill the virus on the tile and carpeting?

I've been scouring the Internet for images of plantar warts, and none of them really look like what my kids have...but I was wondering if they look different in the beginning stages?  Or is there something else they could both have?  I'm trying to upload a picture but I'm having trouble with this app.

Thanks in advance for answering my question.  It's a Saturday and the doctor's offices are closed, and I'm a wreck over this!  My dermatologist books at least 6 weeks in advance, too!

Answer
Without seeing the lesion it is difficult to make a diagnosis. If you take a picture and send it I can make a diagnosis. There is over the counter Mediplast . This medication is used on the skin to treat common skin and foot (plantar) warts. Salicylic acid helps cause the wart to gradually peel off. This medication is also used to help remove corns and calluses. This product should not be used on the face or on moles, birthmarks, warts with hair growing from them, or genital/anal warts.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>