Dermatology/Multiple Skin Issues

I am a 26 year old female. I have developed multiple skin issues over the past 10 years or so, with most of them becoming more prominent just this year.

I have always had dry skin. I developed a patch of eczema on the back of my neck in high school, which eventually went away. I developed dyshidrosis on my hands when I was 18, but that too went away for years. Now however, the dyshidrosis is back with a vengeance (flares every month or so, I can't seem to get it under control), I have several eczema patches on my body in various places, and I have dealt with recurrent folliculitis on my hips (one major flare last year, my first, and then a few spots here and there almost constantly since. I do not swim or use hot tubs).

It is worth noting that my allergies have also gotten worse as I have gotten older (mainly dust mites and pollen). I am fairly certain my dyshidrosis is allergy related.

I am just wondering if there is a possible underlying cause for all this. It seems like my skin just doesn't function property and I have more issues than anyone I know. Rather than continuing to treat each issue as a separate problem, I am wondering if there isn't perhaps an autoimmune disorder or something else that could be going on.

Obviously I am going to consult a doctor face to face on this as well, but I wanted to reach out to see if I could get any information to take to my appointment. I am unable to find very much information on having multiple skin conditions online. What is even more frustrating is that all the information I find says that most people grow out of allergies and skin issues, and I seem to have grown IN to them.

Like all other kinds of Eczema it is not easy to pinpoint the exact cause for Dyshidrotic Eczema, but in the past doctors believed that it was caused due to sweating a theory that is not considered to be true nowadays. Dyshidrotic Eczema is also seen in patients with Atopic Dermatitis, suggesting that there might be a genetic predisposition towards this condition. Episodes of Dyshidrotic Eczema can start when a person comes in contact with a chemical substance like nickel, or cobalt or even when some metals are ingested. The condition is also exacerbated when there is too much emotional trauma, or stress or even when there are extreme weather and temperature changes. Smoking and excessive coffee consumption are believed to play an aggravating role. Some patients can develop Dyshidrotic Eczema after a fungal infection called tinea pedis. According to researchers patients with Dyshidrotic Eczema were cured when they received treatment for tinea pedis.
Patients may report a variety of factors that possibly are related to eruptions.
Emotional stress
Personal or familial atopic dermatitis history (eg, asthma, hay fever, sinusitis)
Certain work exposures (eg, cobalt) and/or recreational exposures
Recent exposure to contact allergens (eg, nickel, balsams, paraphenylenediamine, chromate, sesquiterpene lactones) before condition flares
Exposure to contact irritants before condition flares
Recent exposure to costume jewelry (patients with palmar pompholyx and allergic to nickel)
Recent treatment with intravenous immunoglobulin therapy

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.