I am currently 21 weeks pregnant and early on in my pregnancy I developed a number of these cystic nodules on my back as per the attached picture. They are smooth and hard to touch. The attached has been the one which has grown the most and seems to continue to grow.About 10 years ago I developed a keloid scar on my earlobe which was successfully treated. Does this look like a keloid scar? If not what does it seem like? I appreciate that treatment wise Im quite limited due to pregnancy but is there anything I can use to treat it?

Thank you.

From what I see on the picture the lesion looks like a keloid.  The exact mechanisms of keloid and hypertrophic scar pathogenesis continue to be an enigma for physicians and researchers alike, and no specific gene or set of genes has been identified; however, the increased prevalence of keloids paralleling increased cutaneous pigmentation suggests a genetic basis or, at least, a genetic linkage. Trauma to the skin, both physical (eg, earlobe piercing, surgery) and pathological (eg, acne, chickenpox), is the primary cause identified for the development of keloids. The presence of foreign material, infection, hematoma, or increased skin tension can also lead to keloid or hypertrophic scar formation in susceptible individuals. Keloids can be treated with cortisone injections, laser treatment,

Prevention is key, but therapeutic treatment of hypertrophic scars and keloids includes occlusive dressings, compression therapy, intralesional corticosteroid injections, cryosurgery, excision, radiation therapy, laser therapy, interferon (IFN) therapy, 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), doxorubicin, bleomycin, verapamil, retinoic acid, imiquimod 5% cream, tamoxifen, tacrolimus, botulinum toxin, and over-the-counter treatments (eg, onion extract; combination of hydrocortisone, silicon, and vitamin E).  

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.