Dermatology/Small pink colored papules on the corona

Question
Penis papules
Penis papules  

papules
papules  
I've had small pink skin colored papules almost entirely around the corona of my penis for about 6 years now. They are painless and there hasn't been any increase in the number of papules in recent years. I'm 19 yrs, uncircumcised and still a virgin. Is there a chance these were caused by an STD and do they pose a health threat?

Answer
Pearly penile papules are tiny bumps that ring the rim of the penis head. They are typically flesh-colored or a little lighter and have a smooth dome shape. Interestingly, they also seem to form in organized rows, like a string of pearls. There are no harmful effects other than some possible sensitivity that may be uncomfortable during sex or other activities.
Actually, these bumps are very common, especially among men in their twenties and thirties. Uncircumcised men also report a high occurrence of the papules as well. Throughout your lifetime, it is possible that the bumps will appear and disappear on their own. Even though they are harmless, do not pick at them or try to pop them. You can cause some serious damage- scarring and infection can occur. See a doctor if they bother you.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>