Dermatology/Hard skin

Question
This is something I'm curious about, I'm an athlete and tend to develop hard skin where there is more friction, either the base of the fingers or some part of the feet.
I've been taught to take care of that, never shave them "to the ground" (unless I want to suffer in training!) but keep these areas nicely leveled with some pumice and eventually shave away just the excess.
Alright, I see the point but what would happen if I started moisturising these areas on a regular basis with oil or cream so the skin would be softer? What'd be the impact?
As in...(1) more damage than good, the skin would be too soft and I'd develop blisters during training (2) actually good, the skin would be more resistant and eventually I'd have less hardened skin (3) this is some totally useless speculation?

Answer
A callus (or callosity) is a toughened area of skin which has become relatively thick and hard in response to repeated friction, pressure, or other irritation. Calluses may go away by themselves eventually, once the irritation is consistently avoided. They may also be dissolved with keratolytic agents containing salicylic acid, sanded down with a pumice stone or filed down with a callus shaver, or pared down by a professional such as a podiatrist or a foot health practitioner.
If you want to soften the callus,  you can use over the counter Excipial 20% urea cream.  The only thing the cream will do is to soften the callus. But by repeated friction the callus will continue.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>