Dermatology/hyperpigmentation from skin infection

Hello Dr.

I have had dark under arms and groin and went to check it up. My dermatologist did a scrap test of the areas . Both gave results saying I have a mixed infection of Erythrasma and candida guilliermondii. He treated me with Erythromicin tablets + creams...

The under arms were are pretty good , mostly cleared but not the groin area .... When I checked with my Doc he said that the infection is Ok but the dark marks are like the aftermath that the case ??? I mean for Erthrasma will the hyperpigmentation would not fully resolve even though cured ??

What are my options to resolve the hyperpigmentation option . Thanks in advance for your input.

Postinflammatory pigmentation is temporary pigmentation that follows injury or inflammatory disorder of the skin (e.g. dermatitis, infection). It is mostly observed in darker skin types. Postinflammatory pigmentation is also called acquired melanosis.

More severe injury results in postinflammatory hypopigmentation, which is usually permanent.

Who gets postinflammatory pigmentation?

Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation can occur in anyone, but is more common in darker skinned individuals, in whom the colour tends to be more intense and persist for a longer period than in lighter skin colours. Pigmentation tends to more pronounced in sun-induced skin conditions such as phytophotodermatitis and lichenoid dermatoses (skin conditions related to lichen planus, such as erythema dyschromicum perstans).

Some medications may also darken postinflammatory pigmentation. These include antimalarial drugs, clofazimine, tetracycline, anticancer drugs such as bleomycin (flagellate erythema), doxorubicin, 5-fluorouracil and busulfan.

A variety of topical medications help lighten/bleach hyperpigmented lesions in epidermal hypermelanosis. Varying degrees of success are achieved but combinations of the treatments below are usually required for significant improvement.

Azelaic acid
Vitamin C cream
Tretinoin cream
Corticosteroid creams
Glycolic acid peels
Others: kojic acid, arbutin, licorice extracts, mequinol, niacinamide, N-acetyl glucosamine, soy

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.