Sorry pics not so good but I have a rash where legs and groin join. Little painful to touch no sexual contact within last 6 months, only in that area no where else not painful walking or sitting.

You have what is called an intertrigo.

The term "intertrigo" commonly refers to a bacterial, fungal, or viral infection that has developed at the site of broken skin due to such inflammation. A frequent manifestation is candidal intertrigo.

An intertrigo usually develops from the chafing of warm, moist skin in the areas of the inner thighs and genitalia, the armpits, under the breasts, the underside of the belly, behind the ears, and the web spaces between the toes and fingers. An intertrigo usually appears red and raw-looking, and may also itch, ooze, and be sore. Intertrigos occur more often among overweight individuals, those with diabetes, those restricted to bed rest or diaper use, and those who use medical devices, like artificial limbs, that trap moisture against the skin. Also, there are several skin diseases that can cause an intertrigo to develop, such as dermatitis or inverse psoriasis.

Zeasorb AF powder to keep the area dry and prescription Vytone Cream

Axillary intertrigo (bacterial)
Intertrigo is treated by addressing associated infections, by removing moisture from the site, and by using substances at the site to help maintain skin integrity. If the individual is overweight, losing weight may also help. Relapses of intertrigo are common.

Keeping the area of the intertrigo dry and exposed to the air can help prevent recurrences, as can removing moisture from the area using absorbent fabrics or body powders, including plain cornstarch and judiciously used antiperspirants.

Greases, oils, and barrier ointments, may help by protecting skin from moisture and from friction. Anti-fungal creams, most commonly clotrimazole 1%, may also be used in conjunction with a barrier ointment. Hydrocortisone ointment is beneficial in relieving the pain and symptoms of the infection but is not curative.

Fungal infections associated with intertrigo may be treated with prescription antifungals, including fluconazole, griseofulvin, and nystatin.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>


published over 50 articles on the subject.

©2017 All rights reserved.