Design/Collage and Copyrights

I make posters/collages sometimes incorporating other's images.  These images are cropped or colorized or altered and combined with text.  Does it infringe on other's copyrights?  For example, I might find an old woodcut image from a medical textbook and combine it with the Mona Lisa's left eye.  Do I need to obtain rights to these images?  Where do I draw the line?  How can I know what is fair use and what is improper?

Thanks for you help.

Hi Will,

If what you create is artwork that falls under a category such as mixed media, collage, altered art, assemblage, etc. then you have nothing to worry about. If you create this artwork for commercial use, such as for a print ad campaign, then it becomes a matter of copyright law. Here's a link to a good resource for fair use guidelines:

Erika Block

art & design | illustration & photography | writing & editing | art & marketing direction | green design | editing, writing and publishing | social media | websites and blogs

Fifteen years experience in corporate advertising and marketing, for some of the biggest brand names in the US. Five years as an agency owner. One year as a publisher.

AIGA, the professional association for design, is committed to advancing design as a professional craft, strategic tool and vital cultural force. The American Advertising Federation (AAF) is the nationís oldest national advertising trade association, and the only association representing all facets of the advertising industry. As the leading organization for marketers, the American Marketing Association (AMA) is the trusted go-to resource for marketers and academics. We are counted on as the most credible marketing resource where our members can stay relevant with knowledge, training and tools to enhance lifelong learning and obtain valuable information and connections.

ArtDose Magazine Virtuosity Magazine Connoisseur Mouth

AA: Marketing Communications BA: Advertising and New Media

Several notable talents in the art, photography music, and literary industries.