Design/Collage and Copyrights

Question
I make posters/collages sometimes incorporating other's images.  These images are cropped or colorized or altered and combined with text.  Does it infringe on other's copyrights?  For example, I might find an old woodcut image from a medical textbook and combine it with the Mona Lisa's left eye.  Do I need to obtain rights to these images?  Where do I draw the line?  How can I know what is fair use and what is improper?

Thanks for you help.

Will

Answer
logo
logo  
Hi Will,

If what you create is artwork that falls under a category such as mixed media, collage, altered art, assemblage, etc. then you have nothing to worry about. If you create this artwork for commercial use, such as for a print ad campaign, then it becomes a matter of copyright law. Here's a link to a good resource for fair use guidelines:

http://askharriete.typepad.com/ask_harriete/2009/05/fair-use-guidelines.html

Design

Erika Block