Design/pricing my work

Hi, I'm starting a small local business doing decorative painting and art work on walls and furniture. I've already contacted several interior decorators to make them aware of my work. Can you give me any guidance on how to price my work?

Hi Eleanor,

That type of work is very dependent on your local/regional market. My suggestion would be to look for others who do decorative work like this in your area and inquire (as a potential customer) about their rates and procedures, if they are not posted publicly. You could even ask for references and see what past customers have to say about your competitors. This information will be invaluable in establishing rates and procedures for your own business.

Another option is to visit websites like The Bureau of Labor Statistics ( and, plug in your occupation and location to receive any available information on what is standard on your area.

Erika Block

art & design | illustration & photography | writing & editing | art & marketing direction | green design | editing, writing and publishing | social media | websites and blogs

Fifteen years experience in corporate advertising and marketing, for some of the biggest brand names in the US. Five years as an agency owner. One year as a publisher.

AIGA, the professional association for design, is committed to advancing design as a professional craft, strategic tool and vital cultural force. The American Advertising Federation (AAF) is the nationís oldest national advertising trade association, and the only association representing all facets of the advertising industry. As the leading organization for marketers, the American Marketing Association (AMA) is the trusted go-to resource for marketers and academics. We are counted on as the most credible marketing resource where our members can stay relevant with knowledge, training and tools to enhance lifelong learning and obtain valuable information and connections.

ArtDose Magazine Virtuosity Magazine Connoisseur Mouth

AA: Marketing Communications BA: Advertising and New Media

Several notable talents in the art, photography music, and literary industries.