Design/pricing my work

Question
Hi, I'm starting a small local business doing decorative painting and art work on walls and furniture. I've already contacted several interior decorators to make them aware of my work. Can you give me any guidance on how to price my work?

Answer
Hi Eleanor,

That type of work is very dependent on your local/regional market. My suggestion would be to look for others who do decorative work like this in your area and inquire (as a potential customer) about their rates and procedures, if they are not posted publicly. You could even ask for references and see what past customers have to say about your competitors. This information will be invaluable in establishing rates and procedures for your own business.

Another option is to visit websites like The Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov) and www.salary.com, plug in your occupation and location to receive any available information on what is standard on your area.

Design

Erika Block