Desktop Video/DVD on a Mac

I have a DVD that I can play on my Mac (system 10.6.4) but I can't figure out how to store that video on my Mac as a file in order to upload it to YouTube. It seems that it can't find an application to do this. Can you help me with this? Thanks.

There are a few applications that you can choose from that will do this. Handbrake is a popular free software for Mac and then there are paid solutions like this one:

Just note that if the disc is encrypted, legally you can not circumvent the copy protection.

Desktop Video

Rob Boirun

I have been in the audio/video industry for 10 years. I am an avid user of software for creating DVD/Blu-Ray video and video converting. I maintain a review site/blog for optical disc tech and video editing. Feel free to ask your burning or video related questions.

HI, I run and maintain which is a cloud backup and cloud storage service provider.

I belong to the Hybrid Storage Alliance and the Entertainment Storage Alliance.

I have written CD/DVD Burning Exposed!

I am an University of Phoenix grad in Video Producing.