Desktop Video/Graphic/Video ratios

Question
QUESTION: I am making a Video NTSC 4:3 DV 720x480 and I want to put a Graphic infront of it and I want it to cover the whole Video.

So do I make my Graphic 655x480 Pixals?

ANSWER: Bob,

What software are you going to create the graphic in? What editorial software are you using.

These two are critical questions.

(The square pixel adjustment for 720x480 is 640x480.)

QUESTION: I am useing Corel PhotoPaint and I know that Graphic Images use Sqware Pixals and Video uses None Sqware Pixals.

So if I want my Graphic to cover all of my 4:3 NTSC Video I thought I make it 655x480 am I off?

Answer
Bob,

The reason I asked you the software is that Adobe Photoshop has had the ability to handle nonsquare pixels for a decade (since Adobe Photoshop CS.)

The reason I asked which editing tool is because some of them handle this fine and some had different problems.

Here's the short answer: 640 x 480. (Or 720 x 540. But 640 x 480 is probably cleaner.)

Here's the longer answer:
There are actually two sizes that a still can be to accomodate NTSC/DV of 720 x 480. (There is another sizing for NTSC, known as NTSC 601, which is 720 x 486 pixels.) For 4:3 ratio, the size conversion is .9.

So, 720 x 480 can become 720 x 540 (where you convert based on the height) or 640 x 480 (where you convert based on the width.

Both are correct. But interlaced images (the process of storing a frame in alternating fields due to the redraw of the raster of television) means that vertical distortion is a bit more likely to cause problems due to their temporal difference between fields and expanding vertically leaving some pixels not hitting the field pair fully.

Even longer answer:
http://lurkertech.com/lg/pixelaspect/

Desktop Video

Jeff Greenberg