Desktop Video/Smartphones With Video/audio Conferencing Feature.

QUESTION: Dear R Ferguson

Do Smartphones have the features of a Speakerphone which allow video / audio conferencing ?.

As a example instead of using a Speakerphone, a Company wants to interview candidate/s using a Smartphone device and do video / audio conferencing call with the potential candidate.

Is this possible with a Smartphone Device ?.

Thanks & Regards.
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: This is outside my area of expertise but yes, you can do two way video and audio with a smart phone. Facetime (ios) and Skype are the most popular apps for this.

Good luck.

QUESTION: Dear R Ferguson

Thank you.

The requirement is of a multi-point viewing of the conference by a Interview panel who makes a call using a smartphone device to candidate/s instead of using speakerphone device for taking interview.

The Interview panel in a conference room consisting of more than 5 people will be asking questions to the candidate by smartphone device and then recording the answers given by the candidate in the smartphone device.

Will Skype application suffice this requirement ?.

The interview panel will have to connect external speakers for hearing conversations from candidate and external microphone to ask questions or they can use inbuilt speakers or microphone of smartphone device?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

I'm not sure if Skype will handle multi-point. I think it will but I am not sure. Another program called ooVoo will do multi-point. I'm not sure if there's a smart phone app for it or not but I know it works on a computer. Maybe you can use laptops instead of a smart phone.

Another option might be to use something like a Chromecast or Roku stick. These devices connect to a large video monitor and then you can bring up video on your phone and "throw" it to the Chromecast of Roku. It will display the video on the big video screen. You could put your smart phone near the TV to use its camera.

Sorry, this is outside my expertise. I'm just recalling times when I have been in meetings and conferences and how we managed.

Desktop Video

R. Ferguson

Some technical knowledge in connectivity, systems, cameras, image/video software. I am better at project development, scripting, organization, conceptualization. I know Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, AfterEffects, some Avid, and some others but am no real expert on them. I also have knowledge in multimedia.

Wel over 20yrs of various TV/video production experience. B.S. degree in TV Production from James Madison Univ. Taught TV production at a community college for 5 yrs.

Bachelor of Science Degree in Communications (Radio, TV, Film); James Madison Univ., Harrisonburg, VA

Telly Awards, Communicator Awards, Ava Award, Virginia Community College Associatiopn awards, National Council for MArketing and Public Relations Awards, CAB Award, and others.