Desktop Video/bypassing copyguard

Question
I'm trying to dv edit a VHS tape that I purchased at a garage sale. When I attempt to transfer it to my digital recorder however, a message appears related to 'copyright protection', and the recorder is automatically turned off.
I tried making a VHS copy of the tape, thinking I could get around the problem that way, but the same thing happens.
Is there any way I can bypass this annoying roadblock without having to purchase any third party software or spend a lot of money?
Thank you in advance.

Answer
That "annoying roadblock" is there to prevent you from making an ILLEGAL copy of someone else's property. If the copyright owner wanted you to copy or edit it, they wouldn't have paid to have it protected. What you are trying to do is a possible violation of federal copyright laws so beware.

I know of no way to bypass this system.

Desktop Video

R. Ferguson