Desktop Video/bypassing copyguard

I'm trying to dv edit a VHS tape that I purchased at a garage sale. When I attempt to transfer it to my digital recorder however, a message appears related to 'copyright protection', and the recorder is automatically turned off.
I tried making a VHS copy of the tape, thinking I could get around the problem that way, but the same thing happens.
Is there any way I can bypass this annoying roadblock without having to purchase any third party software or spend a lot of money?
Thank you in advance.

That "annoying roadblock" is there to prevent you from making an ILLEGAL copy of someone else's property. If the copyright owner wanted you to copy or edit it, they wouldn't have paid to have it protected. What you are trying to do is a possible violation of federal copyright laws so beware.

I know of no way to bypass this system.

Desktop Video

R. Ferguson

Some technical knowledge in connectivity, systems, cameras, image/video software. I am better at project development, scripting, organization, conceptualization. I know Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, AfterEffects, some Avid, and some others but am no real expert on them. I also have knowledge in multimedia.

Wel over 20yrs of various TV/video production experience. B.S. degree in TV Production from James Madison Univ. Taught TV production at a community college for 5 yrs.

Bachelor of Science Degree in Communications (Radio, TV, Film); James Madison Univ., Harrisonburg, VA

Telly Awards, Communicator Awards, Ava Award, Virginia Community College Associatiopn awards, National Council for MArketing and Public Relations Awards, CAB Award, and others.