Desktop Video/Software

Are you familiar with VirtualDub? I intend to use it to bring video's audio back into sync but other than playing by ear I don't know how to precisely know how offset the audio is from the video. How does one know? And is audio falling out of sync always mean it starts too soon?

And secondly do you know how to use VirtualDub to create a split screen using two video files? Namely top and bottom?

I'm not familiar with VirtualDub but I just Googled it. It looks like a very stripped-down editor that's used primarily for capturing video. I couldn't get a good look at it so I don't know if it will do what you want.

Basically you need to be able to split the audio from the video and then slide one or the other forward or backward to bring them back into sync. Other than playing by ear and possibly looking at the audio waveforms, I know of no other way to do it. You pretty much have to watch and listen and determine which one is too early/late and then adjust that part (the video or the audio) forward or backward. Then you listen and watch again and see if it's in sync. If not, you do it again. And again, until you get it. If you can find a brief but loud sound that has an easy to spot piece if accompanying video (like a hand clap or something like that), that will make it easier.

I'm sorry but I can't recommend a good free editor (I use Adobe products) so you may have to try a few before you find one that will let you split the audio from a piece of video.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Desktop Video

R. Ferguson

Some technical knowledge in connectivity, systems, cameras, image/video software. I am better at project development, scripting, organization, conceptualization. I know Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, AfterEffects, some Avid, and some others but am no real expert on them. I also have knowledge in multimedia.

Wel over 20yrs of various TV/video production experience. B.S. degree in TV Production from James Madison Univ. Taught TV production at a community college for 5 yrs.

Bachelor of Science Degree in Communications (Radio, TV, Film); James Madison Univ., Harrisonburg, VA

Telly Awards, Communicator Awards, Ava Award, Virginia Community College Associatiopn awards, National Council for MArketing and Public Relations Awards, CAB Award, and others.