Desktop Video/Mini DV camcorder ports

Mac ports
Mac ports  

Camera ports
Camera ports  
Hi there,

Hopefully you can help me.

I am trying to purchase the correct lead to get some footage off an old Mini DV camcorder at work onto a Mac Pro. I bought one lead but it was the wrong one, so I do not want to make the same mistake again! i have attached pictures of the ports - any help would be much appreciated!

I think it is a Firewire 800 on the Mac and I thought the port on the camera might be an i.LINK, but after looking at photos of i.Link ports, I am not so sure?

Thank you in advance for your help.

It's hard to tell from the photos and honestly, I'm unfamiliar with a Mac Pro. I know that Mini DV units use firewire but I can't tell if that's what's on your Mac. Can you go into the hardware settings and see if one is listed? It may be written as IEEE 1394. Firewire cables look a lot like small USB connectors except for a small "dent" in the bottom.

I did a little research and it looks like those may very well be Firewire ports on the Mac. Do you have a Firewire cable you can test fit with?

I don't think iLink was standard on most Mini DV units, at least here in the US. But, I could be wrong.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Desktop Video

R. Ferguson

Some technical knowledge in connectivity, systems, cameras, image/video software. I am better at project development, scripting, organization, conceptualization. I know Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, AfterEffects, some Avid, and some others but am no real expert on them. I also have knowledge in multimedia.

Wel over 20yrs of various TV/video production experience. B.S. degree in TV Production from James Madison Univ. Taught TV production at a community college for 5 yrs.

Bachelor of Science Degree in Communications (Radio, TV, Film); James Madison Univ., Harrisonburg, VA

Telly Awards, Communicator Awards, Ava Award, Virginia Community College Associatiopn awards, National Council for MArketing and Public Relations Awards, CAB Award, and others.