Desktop Video/Simple Video Production

Question
1-3.jpg
1-3.jpg  
Hi Jonathan

I've finish some jpegs, mp3s and a permanently subtitled embedded avi movie clip that I wish to produce into a 1280 x 720 px avi video for YouTube.

I'm concerned about keeping the same quality of the avi without any loss.(The subtitled avi has been through enough conversions and editing already.)

I'm looking for a free avi video maker or editor that will allow me to put in the jpegs, audios and produce an avi video in 1280 x 720 without any loss of quality.

Do you have any reccomendations? (It doesn't need to have super features as I'm only concerned about loading the components and maintaining the quality.)

Thanks for your consideration.

Frank

Answer
Hi Frank

I'm not really up to speed on all that's available for Windows, and much depends on the power of your PC.

I use Avidemux in Linux (but it's available for Windows) and it's a fast, capable system for joining videos. For more complex, multi-track editing, which is what I think you want to do, you will need an NLE like Lightworks. It seems complex and unintuitive, but do the first 6 online tutorials and you'll be good to go.The free version does resolutions up to 720p. You may be re-encoding your AVI, but as this is probably more an 'up-res' than a 'down-res' I think the quality shouldn't suffer noticeably.

I've been experimenting with Shotcut (http://www.shotcut.org/bin/view/Shotcut/WebHome) and it looks like quite a good contender, although can crash from time to time. ymmv.

There are a few more suggestions on this site, but I can't recommend them personally:
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-video-editing-soft

Good luck.

Desktop Video

Jonathan H Pienaar